A versatile trial attorney with deep ties to his native Charleston, South Carolina, Mac McQuillin blends an established business litigation practice with an emerging practice as a certified Circuit Court Mediator. He advises individuals, local businesses and government entities in complex matters, and has extensive experience with both jury and non-jury trials.
Mac's law practice is well-rounded in that he serves as trial counsel on both sides of the aisle - he prosecutes cases on behalf of clients and also defends clients when they are sued. Mac regularly litigates LLC and partnership disputes, property tax appeals, probate, estate and trust cases, and provides general counsel and litigation services to local governments. He also is frequently involved in personal injury, construction and contract cases.
In 2014, Mac was elected to serve on the Berkeley County School District Board (the fourth largest school district in South Carolina). He was re-elected in 2018. Mac currently serves as the Chairman of the Finance and Capital Planning Committee.
Prior to Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, Mac served as a law clerk to the Governor of South Carolina, where he researched existing and proposed legislation and its impact on the state. He also advised the Governor’s Chief Legal Counsel on various legal matters involving the Executive Office.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- University of South Carolina, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
- South Carolina, 2009
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America© Commercial Litigation (2020-2022)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” Business Litigation (2014-2021)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Award 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rating, High Ethical Standing
- Charleston Regional Business Journal "Forty Under 40" 2021
- Charleston Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Lowcountry" Government Affairs 2017
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Order of Barristers
- Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust, Board Member (2014-Present)
- Junior Achievement Greater South Carolina - Coastal Area, Board Member (2016-2018)
- Charleston Lawyers Club
- Charleston County Bar Association
- “State Court Docket Watch: Adams v. McMaster,” The Federalist Society's State Court Docket Watch: 2020 Edition, December 16, 2020
- “Case Law Update,” South Carolina Bar CLE Webinar: South Carolina Limited Liability Companies, September 18, 2020
- “Public Records Issues,” National Business Institute, Ensuring Local Governments Comply with the Law Seminar, Columbia, SC, January 30, 2020
- “Managing Your Liability When Clients Breach Their Fiduciary Duties,” HSB 2019 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series
- “Local Government Litigation Update – Impact Fee Litigation, Opioid Litigation (State and Federal) and FOIA," South Carolina Association of County Attorneys Annual Meeting, Hilton Head Island, SC, August 5, 2018
- "Legal Issues Affecting Local Government and Municipalities," National Business Institute CLE Live Seminar, February 2017
- "How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out)," National Business Institute CLE Live Seminar, February 2017
- "Recent Developments Under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)," Greene, Finney & Horton CPE Seminar, May 2016
- "Irreconcilable Differences - LLC Disputes - Business Divorce Cases," HSB 2014 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminars