A versatile litigation attorney with deep ties to his native Charleston, South Carolina, Mac McQuillin blends an established business litigation practice with an emerging practice as a certified Circuit Court Mediator. He advises individuals, local businesses and government entities in complex matters, and has extensive experience with both jury and non-jury trials. Mac is positioned to assist on matters such as litigating LLC and partnership disputes, handling probate, estate and trust cases and providing general counsel and litigation services to local governments.
In 2014, Mac was elected to serve on the Berkeley County School District Board and currently serves as the school board's Vice Chairman and Chairman of the Facilities and Capital Planning Committee.
Prior to Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, Mac served as a law clerk to then South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford, where he researched existing and proposed legislation and its impact on South Carolina. He also advised the Governor’s Chief Legal Counsel on various legal matters involving the Executive Office. Mac also clerked for South Carolina Senator George E. (Chip) Campsen III. While working for Senator Campsen, he was responsible for constituent research and provided assistance during Senate debates on tort reform.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- University of South Carolina, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
- South Carolina, 2009
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2011
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” Business Litigation (2014-2018)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Award 2017
- Charleston Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Lowcountry" Government Affairs 2017
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Order of Barristers
- Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust, Board Member (2014-Present)
- Junior Achievement Greater South Carolina - Coastal Area, Board Member (2016-2018)
- Charleston Lawyers Club
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Daniel Island Neighborhood Association
- “Local Government Litigation Update – Impact Fee Litigation, Opioid Litigation (State and Federal) and FOIA," South Carolina Association of County Attorneys Annual Meeting, Hilton Head Island, SC, August 5, 2018
- "Legal Issues Affecting Local Government and Municipalities," National Business Institute CLE Live Seminar, February 2017
- "How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out)," National Business Institute CLE Live Seminar, February 2017
- "Recent Developments Under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)," Greene, Finney & Horton CPE Seminar, May 2016
- "Irreconcilable Differences - LLC Disputes - Business Divorce Cases," HSB 2014 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminars