Ben Alexander is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice on the defense of healthcare professionals. Ben has represented large health systems, free standing hospitals, national insurers of healthcare providers, physician group practices and individual nurses and physicians in both professional negligence and licensing matters. He has tried to verdict numerous cases involving allegations of wrongful death, traumatic birth injury, negligent care and treatment, misdiagnosis and lack of informed consent.
Ben also advises hospitals and physicians on matters of risk management, informed consent, patient confidentiality and peer review.
Clients include Greenville Health System, Universal Health Services, Team Health and local and national insurers of health professionals.
Ben is a certified Circuit Court Mediator.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1998
- Auburn University, B.A., 1989
- South Carolina, 1999
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1999
- The Best Lawyers in America© Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants (2011-2020) and Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants (2011-2020)
- Best Lawyers® 2019 Professional Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" Greenville
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense (2016-2020)
- Best Lawyers® 2018 Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" Greenville
- Greenville Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Upstate" Health Care Law (2015, 2017-2018)
- American Board of Trial Advocates, South Carolina Chapter
- Family Counseling Center of Greenville, former President
- United Way, Young Philanthropist Board (2004-2008)
- Alliance for Quality Education, former Young Professionals Committee
- Meals on Wheels of Greenville, Board of Directors
- Urban League of the Upstate, General Counsel and Board of Directors
- Leadership Greenville, Class XVIII
- Leadership South Carolina, Class of 1995
- Riley Institute at Furman's Diversity Leaders Initiative, Upstate Class XI
- South Carolina Bar
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists, former Board of Examiners for Licensure
- “Medical Malpractice,” Pediatric Grand Rounds at PRISMA Health Children’s Hospital – Upstate, Greenville, SC, November 8, 2019
- "EMS Presentation," Swamp Rabbit Prehospital Medicine Conference, Greenville, SC, May 31, 2019
- "Medical Malpractice," USC School of Medicine CRNA Students, Greenville, SC, March 22, 2019
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Medical Malpractice Liability Presentation, March 28, 2014, March 27, 2015, March 25, 2016, March 24, 2017
- EMS Leadership Conference – EMS Liability, June 16, 2016
- Medical Malpractice for M4 Students, March 28, 2016, April 4, 2016, April 11, 2016
- Medical Malpractice and Deposition Basics for M4 Students, March 26, 2016, April 3, 2017