Ron Scott’s practice focuses on public finance, local government and economic development matters. Prior to joining Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, Ron enjoyed a successful career in public administration with the State of South Carolina and local government and uses this experience to help clients achieve their goals.
Ron serves as bond counsel to housing developers for low-income housing projects assisted through state and federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC). He also serves as issuer’s counsel to local public housing authorities, which act as conduit issuers for private activity housing revenue bonds.
Ron advises municipalities and counties on a variety of matters related to public finance, real estate, planning, zoning, contracts, ordinances, regulations and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). He provides advice and counsel on state and federal grant programs, including the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and the Home Investment Partnerships Program (HOME).
He assists companies with economic incentives related to launching or growing their South Carolina presence such as fee in lieu of tax agreements, job development/tax credits and grant funding.
Ron also works with businesses, religious and nonprofit organizations on corporate governance, compliance issues and real estate matters including land use and zoning planning.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 2018
- University of South Carolina, M.P.A., 2000
- University of South Carolina, B.S., 1998
- University of South Carolina School of Law 2018 “Compleat Lawyer” Bronze Medallion Recipient
- South Carolina Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel Award Recipient 2018
- South Carolina Law Review, Symposium Editor
- CALI Award for Non-Profit Law
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Prisma Health - Midlands, Board of Directors (2018-Present)
- Prisma Health Richland Memorial Hospital, Board of Trustees (2014-Present), Cancer Center Board (2016-2017), Legal Services Advisory Committee (2016-Present), Children’s Hospital Board (2015-2016), Medical Executive Committee (2015-2016)
- Midlands Education and Business Alliance, Board of Directors (2007-2017, 2019-Present)
- Riley Institute at Furman’s Diversity Leaders Initiative, Midlands Class XIV, Spring 2022
- South Carolina Supreme Court Historical Society, Board of Directors (2022-Present)
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division
- United Way of the Midlands, Financial Stability Council (2013-2015), Emergency Food and Shelter Committee (2008-2013)
- KOBAN Columbia, Inc., Board of Directors (2002-2011)
- “Virtual Meetings – The New Normal?,” SC Economic Developers’ Association Webinar, May 7, 2020
- “CARES Act Provides $5 Billion in CDBG Funding for State and Local Governments,” HSB Blog, April 13, 2020
- “CARES Act Provides Economic Relief for State and Local Governments,” HSB Blog, April 8, 2020
- “Judicial Selection in South Carolina: Is the Time Ripe for Systematic Restructuring and Improvement? You be the Judge.” South Carolina Law Review Survey Book, 68 S.C. L. Rev. 2017