Kathy McKinney assists healthcare and educational institutions in mergers, acquisitions, expansions and affiliations, with a focus on addressing legal strategies for taxable and tax exempt debt and other financing options.
She has also been bond, issuers’, disclosure and underwriters’ counsel in revenue bond issues, resulting in $4 billion of capital investment in South Carolina in the past three years.
She serves as bond counsel for many of South Carolina’s leading hospitals, including Greenville Health System and several other regional hospital systems throughout South Carolina. She was appointed by the SC DHEC Board to serve on the Certificate of Need (CON) Study Committee charged with making recommendations to the CON laws. The committee was composed of legislative members, hospital representatives, long-term care groups, rural health organizations, physician practices and industry associations.
Kathy also serves as bond counsel for colleges and universities, foundations, continuing care retirement centers and cultural centers and has assisted in corporate governance matters for public and nonprofit institutions.
Kathy has served as an Independent Director of the FHLBanks Office of Finance Board of Directors since 2010. She currently serves on the Audit Committee and is Vice Chair of the Governance Committee. Kathy is the first South Carolinian to hold this position.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 1978
- University of South Carolina, B.A., summa cum laude, 1975
- South Carolina, 1978
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1979
- Best Lawyers® 2019 Public Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- Chambers USA Corporate/M&A: Banking & Finance (2006-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America© Economic Development Law (2011-2019) and Public Finance Law (2003-2019)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Government Finance (2014-2019)
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Economic Development Law “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- Greenville Business Magazine “Women Who Lead” 2012 and "Legal Elite of the Upstate" Bank and Finance Law 2013
- University of South Carolina School of Law Alumni Association "Compleat Lawyer Award - Platinum" 2013
- University of South Carolina Honors College "Distinguished Alumna" 2013
- Frederick O. Kiel Distinguished Service Award for extraordinary service to National Association of Bond Lawyers 2013
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Award 2010
- “50 Most Influential” in Greenville 2010
- South Carolina Law Review, Executive Editor
- Order of Wig and Robe
- University of North Carolina School of Law Banking Institute, Board of Advisors (2019-Present)
- Federal Home Loan Bank Office of Finance Board of Directors, Independent Director, Audit Committee and Vice Chair of Governance Committee
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, President (2009-2010), former steering committee chair of Bond Attorneys’ Workshop, former faculty member of Fundamentals of Municipal Bond Law, Bond Attorneys’ Workshop and Tax and Securities Law Institute programs
- Spartanburg Methodist College, Board of Trustees
- American College of Bond Counsel, Fellow
- Leadership South Carolina, Advisory Committee
- South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities, immediate past chair of Board of Trustees and member of Executive Committee
- Furman University, past chair of Board of Trustees
- South Carolina State Museum Foundation, Board Member
- Greenville Symphony Orchestra, former Executive Committee, former Endowment Board Member
- South Carolina Children’s Theatre, former President
- Upcountry History Museum, former President
- Upstate South Carolina Alliance, Founder
- South Carolina Bar
- “Healthcare: Tax Exempt Bond Market Update,” Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP Spring Accounting Forum, April 28, 2017