John Boyd chairs Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd’s Environmental Group and practices in the areas of environmental, regulatory, administrative and general corporate law.
John's environmental practice includes permitting, enforcement, due diligence and risk assessment, real estate transactions, environmental audits, voluntary cleanup contracts, brownfield redevelopment and traditional issues surrounding toxic substances, hazardous and solid waste management, air emissions and water quality.
His practice also includes work in general corporate law, commercial contracts, business transactions and zoning.
John has worked in the renewable energy sector advising clients on state and federal incentives, permitting issues and electric service agreements.
Prior to Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, John worked as an environmental consultant for ICF Consulting in D.C. where he provided regulatory research and support for government agencies, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Energy, Federal Aviation Administration, Housing and Urban Development and the U.S. Department of Justice.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2004
- University of Michigan, M.S., 1999
- Sewanee: The University of the South, B.S., 1995
- The Best Lawyers in America© Environmental Law (2024)
- Columbia Business Monthly "Legal Elite of the Midlands" Energy and Utilities Law (2019, 2021-2023) and Environmental Law (2019-2021)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” Environmental (2014)
- Southeastern Environmental Law Journal, Associate Editor
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Adjunct Professor, Federal Environmental Law and Policy
- Nickelodeon Theatre, former President and Board Member
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce, former Board Member
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, Environmental Technical Committee
- South Carolina Clean Energy Business Alliance, Founding Board Member
- City of Columbia Climate Change Commission
- South Carolina Bar, General Council for the Environment and Natural Resources Section Council
- South Carolina Biomass Council, former Chair
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2013
- American Bar Association
- “Potential Environmental Liability: Who Owns First?” Greene Finney Cauley Annual CPE Conference, Greenville, SC, April 25, 2023
- “Site Design & Environmental Planning,” ULI South Carolina – Midlands Development 360 Series, August 6, 2020
- "Property Assessed Clean Energy: Pushing Clean Energy Forward in South Carolina," SC Chamber of Commerce Environmental Energy Forum, June 20, 2017