Jamie Becker handles high-stakes litigation, often involving representative or class action allegations or significant damages claims, at both the trial and appellate levels. His practice focuses on complex business litigation in areas such as business and consumer financial services, business contracts, automobile sales and marketing, commercial and consumer real estate transactions, and real estate development. He has significant experience involving complex business damages issues and expert witnesses in accounting and business valuation.
In the financial services industry, Jamie has frequently defended clients in class-action litigation, experience that has given him extensive knowledge of client industries and the laws and complexities of class-action litigation. His clients include national and regional financial services companies including banks, mortgage lenders and finance companies. He has also prosecuted claims for mortgage brokers against mortgage securitization companies.
In the automotive industry, Jamie has represented automotive manufacturers in commercial and consumer disputes, and represents automobile dealers in consumer warranty, financing, and statutory compliance claims, including class actions.
In the real estate industry, Jamie has represented real estate developers in complex business litigation involving large, multi-use development projects, as well as title insurance companies in a wide variety of disputes.
Jamie also handles intellectual property disputes, including those involving trademarks and trade secrets.
- • Successfully prosecuted a multi-million dollar indemnification contract dispute for a national bank, arising out of a leveraged buy-out of a company by an Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- • Defended lenders in numerous class actions involving consumer-lending practices, and automobile dealers in class actions involving consumer protection code compliance
- • Prosecuted claims for a large real estate developer against private and governmental entities involving unfair trade practices, breach of contract and regulatory takings
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1992
- Princeton University, A.B., 1981
- South Carolina, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1992
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 2001
- The Best Lawyers in America© Consumer Law (2021-2023) and Litigation - Banking and Finance (2012-2023)
- Best Lawyers® 2022 Litigation - Banking and Finance “Lawyer of the Year” Columbia
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Business Litigation (2015-2021)
- Columbia Business Monthly "Legal Elite of the Midlands" Hospitality and Tourism Law 2021
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Order of Barristers
- Richland County Bar
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Dealer Counsel
- Central S.C. Habitat for Humanity, General Counsel
- EdVenture Children’s Museum, former Chair of Board of Directors
- Heathwood Hall Episcopal School, former Vice Chair of Board of Trustees
- “Recent SC Appellate Court Decisions re: Arbitration Agreements, Advertising and Vehicle Pricing and ELT and Closing Fees” SCADA Best Practices Summit, Columbia, SC, March 23, 2022
- “Managing Your Liability When Clients Breach Their Fiduciary Duties,” HSB 2019 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series