Parker Barnes focuses on real property and business litigation, primarily on matters involving tax sales, real estate related disputes, consumer financial services and commercial lending disputes.
For over 15 years, Parker has represented tax sale purchasers, servicers, financial services companies and other businesses in cases focused on the process for collecting property taxes. These matters have included actions to both confirm and invalidate tax sales.
Real estate litigation
Parker has represented public utility companies and other businesses, as well as individuals, in various real estate matters. His work ranges from contractual disputes arising out of property sales to actions involving title insurance, boundary disputes, easements, encroachments, commercial leases and actions to partition real property.
He has represented local, regional and national financial services companies (banks, mortgage lenders and finance companies) in matters concerning the enforcement of federal lending laws, the South Carolina Consumer Protection Code, similar laws and in matters involving the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
Parker has defended mortgage lenders in statewide class-action lawsuits. With the onset of the Great Recession, his consumer financial services practice expanded to include defending foreclosing lenders against various consumer-law counterclaims, as well as counterclaims arising out of the Home Affordable Modification Program and other foreclosure intervention options. He continues his practice of defending lenders and assisting with the resolution of the various issues that confront lenders.
A native of South Carolina and knowledgeable about the regional business environment, Parker represents businesses in contractual and operational disputes of many other types.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2000
- Furman University, B.A., cum laude, 1997
- South Carolina, 2000
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 2001
- The Best Lawyers in America© Commercial Litigation 2020 and Litigation - Real Estate (2019-2020)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Real Estate (2018-2019) and "Rising Stars" Banking (2014 - 2015)
- National Tax Lien Association
- Independent Banks of South Carolina
- South Carolina Bar, House of Delegates (2014 - 2018)
- American Bar Association
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2004
- "Quiet Title Post Tax Sale," 2018 Masters in Equity Bench/Bar, South Carolina Bar, October 12, 2018
- "Recent Developments/Best Practices for Tax Collectors," 2018 Academy for County Auditors, Treasurers and Tax Collectors, February 8, 2018
- “Pitfalls to Avoid at S.C. Tax Sales,” National Title Liens Association Annual Tax Lien Conference & Meeting, March 2017
- “Tax Sales and Quiet Title Actions,” South Carolina Bar Government Law Section Mid-Year Update, June 19, 2015