Tom Coker provides solutions to contractors and owners to help build successful projects. In over 30 years of practice, he has worked in every area of construction law.
Tom represents owners, contractors, construction managers and design professionals in procurement and contract matters and in litigation. Whether helping find innovative development options or trying cases between owners and contractors, Tom advises his clients efficiently and economically to further their objectives.
An important member of the Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd team, Tom has litigated or arbitrated more than 100 construction cases throughout the Southeast.
- • Helped Greenville County develop a fast-track, cost-efficient contracting system for county road construction, maintenance and repairs
- • Represented regional and national builders in negotiating construction contracts, including contracts for automotive facilities in Alabama, Indiana and overseas
- • Represented a design-build firm in a contract dispute involving the construction of a nuclear power facility
- • Represented a contractor in a claim against a private power producer involved in a power-generating facility
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 1976
- Wofford College, A.B., magna cum laude, 1973
- South Carolina, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- The Best Lawyers in America© Litigation - Construction (2011-2019)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Construction Litigation (2008-2016)
- Greenville Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Upstate" Construction Law (2013, 2018)
- American Bar Association, Forum Committee on Construction Industry
- South Carolina Bar
- Greenville County Bar Association
- Greenville Literacy Association, President (2008), Board Member (2003-Present)