Demetrius Pyburn offers clients a unique background that combines technical experience in aviation and logistics from his service in the U.S. Army’s Special Operations Aviation Regiment and human resources experience from his service in the U.S. Army Reserves to provide clients with knowledgeable, effective and efficient legal representation in employment law and aviation law.
Demetrius provides advice and counsel to employers on everyday human resource compliance issues involving the FMLA, FLSA, NLRB, Title VII, USERRA, state law employment statutes and other employment-related regulations. He also has experience in litigating federal and state claims involving wage payment, discrimination and retaliation. Demetrius regularly blogs about workplace issues on www.scemployersblog.com.
Demetrius defends insurance companies in coverage, wrongful death and motor vehicle matters.
In addition, Demetrius applies his military experience to advise and counsel clients on the intricacies of aviation and drone law. He has assisted clients with Part 107 Waivers or Certificates of Waiver/Authorization (COA), advised clients on Federal Aviation Regulations and FAA Guidance Compliance. He has assisted businesses in creating drone operation manuals and checklists for pilots and advised on insurance options. He is a frequent speaker and author on aviation and drone law.
He is an approved panel counsel litigator for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. In this role, Demetrius has created LLC and operating agreements for flying clubs, reviewed aircraft purchase and sale agreements and drafted aircraft rental and leasing agreements. He is able to assist aviators in the defense of FAA enforcement actions, among other state and local actions.
Prior to joining our firm, Demetrius served in the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment in the U.S. Army. He served in the U.S. Army Reserves as a Human Resources Specialist in the 812th Transportation Headquarters and continues to serve as a Logistics Specialist with the 324th Expeditionary Signal Battalion.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2017
- Platt College, B.A., 2010
- Greenville Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Upstate" Labor & Employment Law 2020
- SC SHRM State Council, Diversity Director (2021-Present)
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation Young Lawyers Leadership Program (2019-Present), Vice Chair of Aviation and Space Law Committee, Torts Trial and Insurance Practice, Section of Litigation Young Advocates Committee
- Greenville Chamber of Commerce, PULSE
- International Air & Transportation Safety Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar, Drone Task Force Civil Subcommittee Chair (2017-2019), Technology Committee (2019-Present)
- Uniform Law Commission, Drafting Committee on Tort Law Relating to Drones
- “USERRA Guidelines and Updates,” HSB Pee Dee SHRM Employment Law Update, Florence, SC, December 9, 2021
- “HSB DEI Webinar Series: Supporting Veterans and Reservists in the Workplace,” November 18, 2021
- “Unemployment Fraud: What Can Employers Do to Stop UI Fraud?,” HSB 2021 Employment Law Webinar Series, June 24, 2021
- “Workplace Safety: From Cited Failures to Best Practices,” HSB 2021 Employment Law Webinar Series, February 25, 2021
- “Frequently Cited OSHA COVID-19 Violations and What Employers Can Do Differently,” HSB Blog, February 2, 2021
- “Managing Risk Through A Respectful Workplace,” GSHRM HR & Management Conference, August 19, 2020
- “FFCRA and CARES Act,” HSB 2020 Employment Law Webinar Series
- Being the Best Employer Possible During These Times – Part II,” Together SC Webinar, April 1, 2020
- “Up, Up and Away: Understanding Drone Law and Insurance,” South Carolina Bar Torts Law Update, Columbia, SC, February 14, 2020
- “Managing Drones in Your Airspace,” South Carolina Aviation Association Annual Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC, February 13, 2020
- “LAANC is Here for Recreational Drone Operators,” Palmetto Aviation 2019 Summer/Fall Edition
- “Small Unmanned Aerial Systems: How Drones Can Reach Their Full Potential in Business,” Southern Law Network Webinar, August 15, 2019
- "Social Media, Drones and HR," HSB Employment Law Seminar, June 27, 2019
- "Bridging the Gap Between Law School and Practice" (Panelist), American Bar Association Section of Litigation, New York, NY, May 3, 2019
- "Concerted Activity & Other News from the NLRB," SHRM Legal Conference, Augusta, GA, March 14, 2019
- “FAA Reauthorization Act Authorizes Major Expansions in Drone Operations and Other Widespread Implications for the Aviation Industry,” Palmetto Aviation, 2018 Fall Edition
- “How VRBOs are Affecting All Parties Involved: Understanding the Issues around Innovative VRBOs,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Fall 2018
- "Concerted Activity & Other News from the NLRB," HSB 2018 Employment Law Seminar Series
- “What Drone Operators Need to Know About the Expansion of LAANC,” Palmetto Aviation 2018 Summer Edition
- "Healthy Habits While Maintaining a Law Practice," American Bar Association Section of Litigation, May 17, 2018
- "DOR and the Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate," HSB 2017 Employment Law Seminar Series
- “Recent Developments in Aviation Law,” Panelist at American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Aviation and Space Law Annual Conference, October 2017