Demetrius Pyburn provides advice and counsel to employers on everyday compliance issues involving the ADA, FMLA, FLSA, NLRB, Title VII, state law employment statutes and other employment-related regulations. He also has experience in litigating claims involving wage payment, discrimination and retaliation.
Demetrius regularly blogs about workplace issues on www.scemployersblog.com.
In addition, Demetrius provides advice and counsel on drone law. Legal services include assisting with Part 107 Waivers or Certificates of Waiver/Authorization (COA), advising on Federal Aviation Regulations and FAA Guidance Compliance, establishing drone operation manuals and checklists for pilots and advising clients on insurance options. He is a frequent speaker and author on issues facing drone owners.
He is an approved panel counsel litigator for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. In this role, Demetrius has created LLC and operating agreements, reviewed aircraft purchase and sale agreements and drafted aircraft rental and leasing agreements. He is able to assist aviators in the defense of FAA enforcement actions, among other state and local actions.
Prior to joining our firm, Demetrius served in the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment in the U.S. Army. He continues to serve in the U.S. Army Reserves as a Human Resources Specialist in the 812th Transportation Headquarters.
In law school, Demetrius served as President of Service Member & Veterans in Law as well as Corresponding Secretary for the Black Law Student Association.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2017
- Platt College, B.A., 2010
- American Bar Association, Vice Chair of Aviation and Space Law Committee, Torts Trial and Insurance Practice, Section of Litigation Young Advocates Committee
- Greenville Chamber of Commerce, PULSE
- International Air & Transportation Safety Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar, Drone Task Force Civil Subcommittee Chair
- U.S. Army Reserves, Human Resources Specialist
- Uniform Law Commission, Drafting Committee on Tort Law Relating to Drones
- "Bridging the Gap Between Law School and Practice" (Panelist), American Bar Association Section of Litigation, New York, NY, May 3, 2019
- "Concerted Activity & Other News from the NLRB," SHRM Legal Conference, Augusta, GA, March 14, 2019
- "Concerted Activity & Other News from the NLRB," HSB 2018 Employment Law Seminar Series
- “What Drone Operators Need to Know About the Expansion of LAANC,” Palmetto Aviation 2018 Summer Edition
- "Healthy Habits While Maintaining a Law Practice," American Bar Association Section of Litigation, May 17, 2018
- "DOR and the Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate," HSB 2017 Employment Law Seminar Series
- “Recent Developments in Aviation Law,” Panelist at American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Aviation and Space Law Annual Conference, October 2017