Mac McLean has been a Certified Tax Specialist for over 25 years. He works primarily in the areas of estate planning, corporate tax planning and retirement program planning.
Financial institutions and trust departments call on Mac for help in dealing with the proper handling of estates and trusts and in probate court actions to construe the provisions of trust documents.
In estate planning, he advises large and small estates on tax and probate opportunities that can minimize tax and probate costs, including life insurance trusts, family partnerships and charitable lead and remainder trusts.
In business tax planning, Mac advises clients in asset sales, mergers and acquisitions and corporate reorganizations. He has guided a successful management buy-out of a multi-million-dollar company engaged in software development for the healthcare market. He has extensive experience in representing businesses and lenders in transactions involving new markets tax credits and other tax credits.
In the retirement planning area, Mac advises clients with respect to requirements of the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Department of Labor and particularly the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). He has assisted clients in addressing and solving their contribution-testing issues, including participation in voluntary correction programs and handling retirement plan issues arising from mergers and acquisitions.
He has significant experience in structuring retirement plans for governmental bodies, including plans that provide specific groups of employees with the ability to make contributions in excess of regular deferral limits.
- New York University, LL.M. in taxation, 1989
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1988
- University of South Carolina Honors College, B.S., cum laude, 1985
- South Carolina, 1988
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1994
- U.S. Tax Court, 1993
- The Best Lawyers in America© Litigation - ERISA (2011-2021), Litigation - Trusts and Estates (2011-2021), Employee Benefits Law 2010 and Trusts and Estates 2010
- Best Lawyers® 2020 Litigation - ERISA “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- Best Lawyers® 2019 Litigation - Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- Best Lawyers® 2018 Litigation - ERISA “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Litigation - ERISA “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- Greenville Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Upstate" Tax & Estate Law (2018-2020) and Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions 2020
- The President's Call to Service Award 2013
- Boy Scouts of America Blue Ridge Council Silver Antelope Award 2002
- Boy Scouts of America Blue Ridge Council, Board of Directors (1993-Present), President (2018, 2019)
- Boy Scouts of America National Council, Area President (2015-2017)
- Greenville County Library System, Board of Trustees (1996-2000, Vice Chair 1997-2000)
- South Carolina Bar
- “How Do We Have a Board of Directors Meeting During COVID-19?,” HSB Blog, April 24, 2020
- “Estate Planning Documents and Other End of Life Issues,” Rolling Green Village, Greenville, SC, October 2 and October 30, 2019
- “Legal 101 – Good Governance Policies,” Together SC Nonprofit Summit, Greenville, SC, March 12, 2019
- "Demystifying I.R.C. Section 199A," HSB 2018 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series
- “Evaluating and Filing Estate Claims,” The Woodlands at Furman, Greenville, SC, June 15, 2018
- "Crafting the Historic Tax Credit Deal," ULI South Carolina Panel Discussion, Charleston, SC, April 21, 2017