Jeremy Cook serves as co-leader of our Public Finance practice group at Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd and is the administrative shareholder for our Charleston office.
Jeremy regularly serves as bond counsel, disclosure counsel and underwriter’s counsel in connection with bond issues for cities, counties, state entities and school districts across South Carolina. During his two decades with our firm, Jeremy has handled nearly every type of governmental bond issue including general obligation bonds, tax increment bonds, improvement district bonds, utility bonds, limited obligation bonds, water and sewer bonds, parking bonds, stormwater bonds, installment purchase revenue bonds and special source revenue bonds.
Jeremy also serves as bond and underwriter’s counsel on bond issues for hospitals in the Low Country, Midlands and Upstate of South Carolina. In addition, he also regularly serves as bond counsel in connection with bonds issued by the South Carolina Jobs-Economic Development Authority for other nonprofit organizations including independent schools, foundations and YMCAs.
As disclosure counsel, Jeremy represents state, local governmental and nonprofit entities with primary and continuing disclosure matters, and in the last three years, he has served as disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of approximately $500 million of revenue bonds.
Jeremy also handles Fee-In-Lieu of Taxes and other economic incentive matters for corporate and county clients throughout South Carolina. In the last two years, Jeremy has been involved with more than 50 incentive transactions with companies ranging from automobile manufacturers and suppliers to corporate headquarters and distribution centers.
Jeremy is a frequent author, speaker and CLE coordinator on public finance, government and economic development matters in South Carolina.
- • Served as disclosure counsel in connection with a South Carolina city’s public offering of tax-exempt hospitality tax revenue bonds - the first issuance of such publicly-sold bonds
- • Part of a team in 2018 that served as bond and disclosure counsel for a small coastal community’s public issuance of $19,490,000 Installment Purchase Revenue Bonds
- • Represented a major underwriter in a public offering of tax-exempt securities for one of the largest improvement-district financings in South Carolina
- • Served as disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of revenue bonds by a state entity in the principal amount of $294,025,000 in 2015
- • Helped negotiate and implement Fee-In-Lieu of Taxes, Special Source Revenue Bonds and other economic incentives on behalf of both corporate and county clients in connection with some of the largest projects in the state
- Duke University, J.D., cum laude, 1998
- Clemson University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1995
- The Best Lawyers in America© Public Finance Law (2020-2021) and Economic Development Law (2021)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Award 2019
- Charleston Regional Business Journal “Forty Under 40” 2004
- South Carolina Bar, Government Law Section Chair
- Charleston Regional Development Alliance, Board Member
- Mason Preparatory School, Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Grace Church Cathedral, Chancellor and former Warden and Vestry Member
- Rotary Club of Charleston, Chairman of the Rotary Service Above Self Scholars Committee
- Charleston Scientific and Cultural Education Fund, Secretary/Treasurer
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Securities and Governmental Law Committee
- Leadership South Carolina, Class of 2006, Board of Trustees (2006-2014)
- Leadership Charleston, Class of 2001
- Former Member of the Finance Committee for the Ronald McDonald House of Charleston and the Little School at Grace Church Advisory Council
- Former City of Charleston Youth Soccer Coach