The nonprofit team at Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd regularly advises educational institutions, government affiliated organizations, healthcare organizations, community foundations, land trusts and private foundations concerning federal and state tax issues.
Nonprofit organizations regularly count on Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd attorneys for support on such tax issues as tax-exempt status and public charity status, unrelated business taxable income, supporting organization issues, donor-advised funds, excess benefit transactions and reasonable compensation issues, restrictions on lobbying and political activities, conservation easements, and the Pension Protection Act. Our team frequently represents nonprofit clients in audits concerning issues ranging from reasonable compensation to tax-exempt bond compliance.
- Assist nonprofit corporations to obtain tax-exempt status from the IRS
- Structured and advised a consortium of hospitals in the State to coordinate the health sciences research and grant activities of the member hospitals
- Represented numerous educational institutions in establishing foundations to finance, construct and operate student housing facilities, academic buildings and other university-related facilities
- Represented a large public hospital system in structuring exempt and for-profit affiliates to commercialize cancer therapies developed by hospital researchers
- Advised numerous foundations concerning conversion from 509(a)(3) supporting organization status to 509(a)(1) publicly-supported organization status and other Pension Protection Act compliance issues
- Advise land trusts on all matters relating to conservation easements, form 8283, baseline documentation reports and IRS compliance