For more than three decades, Manton Grier has been successfully trying complex business and commercial cases throughout the region.
Manton represents plaintiffs and defendants in all phases of litigation, including jury and bench trials, arbitrations, mediations and appeals. He has argued over 20 appeals in the state and federal appellate courts.
In addition to a wide scope of breach of contract cases and business related tort actions, he has handled dealer/distributor termination cases in the beer, wine, electronics and appliance industries. He recently obtained an arbitration award in excess of $10 million for a client asserting a claim for breach of contract.
Manton represents clients in complex patent actions, many of which involve multiple patents and jurisdictional issues. He has served as counsel for more than 12 patent litigation cases.
He has defended numerous cases involving allegations of price fixing, price discrimination, unfair trade practices and unlawful restraints of trade.
Manton frequently speaks to groups of executives of major corporations on antitrust compliance issues.
Columbia Venture, LLC v. Dewberry & Davis, LLC, 604 F.3d 824 (4th Cir. 2010); Columbia Venture, LLC v. S. C. Wild Life Fed., 562 F. 3d 290 (4th Cir. 2009); In Re Bees, 562 3d 284 (4th Cir. 2009); In Re Hospital Pricing Litigation, 377 S. C. 48, 659 S.E.2d 131 (2008)
Sonoco Products Company v. Physicians Health Plan, Inc., 338 F.3d 366 (4th Cir. 2003)
Energy Resources of Australia v. South Carolina Electric & Gas Company, 1997 U.S. App. Lexis 22234 (4th Cir. 1997)
Esab Group, Inc. v. Centricut, LLC, 34 F.Supp. 2d 323 (D.S.C. 1999)
- University of South Carolina, J.D., magna cum laude, 1970
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 1967
- South Carolina, 1970
- U.S. District Court, Fourth Circuit, 1972
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1972
- The Best Lawyers in America© Commercial Litigation (2006-2019) and Litigation - Antitrust (2011-2019)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Business Litigation (2008-2018)
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Law Institute
- South Carolina Bar
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court, President (1998-1999)