With more than twenty years as a labor and employment law attorney, Lisa Claxton has extensive experience investigating, researching, analyzing and advising businesses on complex employee relations issues.
Lisa regularly represents businesses in employment litigation before federal, state and local regulatory agencies in matters involving allegations of discrimination, harassment, failure to accommodate and wrongful termination. She provides advice and counsel to employers and human resource professionals and conducts training on employment laws including Title VII, FMLA and ADA. Lisa is a skilled negotiator with experience developing strategies for helping clients assess risk and providing practical recommendations for resolution. Lisa also assists clients with drafting and implementing policies, procedures and handbooks.
Lisa is also experienced in governmental law, having established Spartanburg County’s first in-house legal department where she was responsible for the management of all legal services for the county, including supervising legal staff, retaining and working with outside counsel and meeting budgetary obligations. She provided legal advice and counseling to elected officials, board and committee members and county staff on a variety of matters including contracts, economic development projects, finance, procurement, FOIA, ethics and employment and human resource issues.
Lisa is experienced in representing businesses in whistleblower matters. She has successfully tried multiple whistleblower claims before a regulatory agency.
Prior to joining Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, Lisa was an attorney with two national labor and employment law firms.
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., with Distinction, 1995
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1994
- Meredith College, B.A., cum laude, 1991
- South Carolina, 1994
- Georgia, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- South Carolina Bar, Government Law Section Council, Vice Chair
- Spartanburg Interfaith Hospitality Network (SPIHN), Chair
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association, former Board Member
- Leadership Spartanburg, 2011
- United Way of the Piedmont Nonprofit Fellowes Graduate
- Upstate Mediation Center, Volunteer Mediator
- “Review of Proposed Legislation Impacting Employers,” SHRM Legal Conference, Augusta, GA, March 14, 2019