With more than twenty years as a labor and employment law attorney, Lisa Claxton has extensive experience investigating, researching, analyzing and advising businesses on complex employee relations issues.
Lisa regularly represents businesses in employment litigation before federal, state and local regulatory agencies in matters involving allegations of discrimination, harassment, failure to accommodate and wrongful termination. She provides advice and counsel to employers and human resource professionals and conducts training on employment laws including Title VII, FMLA and ADA. Lisa is a skilled negotiator with experience developing strategies for helping clients assess risk and providing practical recommendations for resolution. Lisa also assists clients with drafting and implementing policies, procedures and handbooks.
Lisa is also experienced in governmental law, having established Spartanburg County’s first in-house legal department where she was responsible for the management of all legal services for the county, including supervising legal staff, retaining and working with outside counsel and meeting budgetary obligations. She provided legal advice and counseling to elected officials, board and committee members and county staff on a variety of matters including contracts, economic development projects, finance, procurement, FOIA, ethics and employment and human resource issues.
Lisa represents businesses in whistleblower matters and has successfully tried multiple whistleblower claims before a regulatory agency.
She contributes to our firm’s employment blog, www.scemployersblog.com, and frequently presents on employment law issues.
- Georgetown University, LL.M., with Distinction, 1995
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1994
- Meredith College, B.A., cum laude, 1991
- South Carolina, 1994
- Georgia, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 2003
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia, 2000
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Hope Center for Children, Board of Directors (2020-Present)
- South Carolina Economic Development Institute, Class of 2019
- South Carolina Bar, Government Law Section Council, Vice Chair
- Spartanburg Community College Foundation, Board of Directors (2019-Present)
- The South Carolina Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors (2019-Present)
- Spartanburg Interfaith Hospitality Network (SPIHN), Board of Directors (2015-2019),
- Rotary Club of Spartanburg
- Leadership Spartanburg, Class of 2011
- United Way of the Piedmont Nonprofit Fellows Graduate
- Upstate Mediation Center, Volunteer Mediator
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association, former Board Member
- “Ask the Attorney” (Panelist), HSB 2019 Employment Law Seminar Series
- “LGBTQIA: What Human Resources Professionals Need to Know,” HSB 2019 Employment Law Seminar Series
- “LGBTQIA: What HR Professionals Need to Know,” Municipal Association of South Carolina Human Resources Annual Meeting, Greenville, SC, November 14, 2019
- “The Impact of Bullying in the Workplace and Steps SC Employers Can Take to Address It,” HSB 2019 Employment Law Seminar Series
- "Identifying and Addressing Workplace Bullying," South Carolina School Boards Association, August 24, 2019
- "Identifying and Addressing Workplace Bullying," South Carolina School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys, August 23, 2019
- "Tales from the Crypt: A Series of Unfortunate Events and the Human Resource Lessons We Can Learn from Them," Union County Development Board, Union, SC, June 26, 2019
- “Review of Proposed Legislation Impacting Employers,” Society for Human Resource Management Legal Conference, Augusta, GA, March 14, 2019