Kimberly Witherspoon’s practice focuses on public finance. She works closely with other members of our public finance team as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel and corporate counsel in various financing structures.
Kimberly serves as bond counsel for colleges and universities, foundations, healthcare institutions, continuing care retirement communities and non profit organizations. She assists healthcare and educational institutions in mergers, acquisitions, expansions and affiliations with a concentration in addressing legal strategies for taxable and tax exempt debt and other financing opportunities.
She also advises cities, counties and special-purpose districts as they structure financings for their capital and operational needs through the issuance of various types of municipal bonds and other obligations, including general obligation bonds and revenue bonds, installment purchase revenue bonds, special source revenue bonds and hospitality tax revenue bonds.
- Georgetown University, J.D., 2009
- Furman University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2006
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 2011
- South Carolina, 2009
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” Government Finance (2014-2019)
- Greenville Chamber of Commerce “Young Professional of the Year” 2016
- Urban League of the Upstate, "Talented Tenth, Greenville Top 10 Young Professional," (2013, 2014)
- Greenville Business Magazine "Best and Brightest 35 and Under" 2013
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- South Carolina Bar
- United Way of Greenville County, Board Member (2014-Present), African-American Leadership Council, Chair 2015
- Leadership Greenville, Class 40
- Riley Institute at Furman's Diversity Leaders Initiative, Upstate Class XIII
- Greenville Chautauqua, former Board Member
- Junior League of Greenville, former Board Member
- Pendleton Place, former Board Member, Chair 2017
- Greene, Finney & Horton & Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd Financial and Legal Update Conference, May 5, 2016
- South Carolina Association of Special Purpose Districts Educational Conference, Summer 2015 and Fall 2014