Ellis Johnston is recognized as one of South Carolina’s leading trial attorneys, having tried more than 100 cases to juries in federal and state courts.
Ellis served as lead counsel in two class actions brought under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. He defended a major New York law firm in an alleged attorney malpractice case and represented the general partners of 13 limited partnerships in a multi-million dollar 1933 Securities Act case.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1975
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., 1968
- The Best Lawyers in America© Bet-the-Company Litigation (2010-2021), Commercial Litigation (1995-2021), Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions (2011-2021) and Litigation - Securities (2011-2021)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Business Litigation (2008-2009)
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association