Tyra McBride is an associate in Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd’s Columbia office and focuses her practice on commercial real estate transactions and regulated utility litigation in South Carolina and North Carolina. Tyra's practice includes various aspects of commercial transactions, including representing lenders and borrowers in commercial lending and representing sellers, buyers, and developers in the purchase, sale, and leasing of real property. She also represents regulated utilities and their contractors in cases involving federal regulation, tort liability, property damage and encroachment disputes.
Prior to joining our firm, Tyra served as a judicial law clerk to Associate Justice George C. James Jr. of the South Carolina Supreme Court.
While in law school, Tyra was Associate Editor in Chief of the South Carolina Law Review and a student member of Women in Law and the Black Law Students Association. Prior to law school, Tyra worked as a paralegal in Kingstree, assisting in the areas of residential real estate, probate and estate planning.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2018
- University of South Carolina Paralegal Certificate Program, 2013
- Francis Marion University, B.S., summa cum laude, 2011
- South Carolina, 2018
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 2020
- North Carolina, 2021
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2021
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 2021
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 2021
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Commercial Litigation (2023-2024) and Real Estate Law (2023-2024)
- Columbia Metropolitan Magazine 2023 Capital Young Professional of the Year
- Columbia Business Monthly "Legal Elite of the Midlands" Corporate Law – Mergers & Acquisitions (2021-2022)
- The National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 in South Carolina (2020)
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- CALI Award Recipient: Legal Research, Analysis & Writing I & II; Legal Writing for the Courts; Criminal Adjudication; Wills, Trusts & Estates; Real Estate Transactions II; Secured Transactions
- Girls on the Run Columbia, Board Member (2021-Present), Chair (2023-Present)
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2023
- South Carolina Black Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Junior League of Columbia