Perry MacLennan acts as outside general counsel to private businesses, local governments and non-profit entities. He focuses particularly on employment compliance, regulatory matters, contracting and trial counsel.
Perry has a passion for employment law. He serves as nationwide chair for the Labor and Employment Law Committee of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division and regularly blogs about workplace issues at www.scemployersblog.com. He counsels employers on everyday compliance issues involving the ADA, FMLA, Title VII, OSHA, state law employment statues and other employment-related regulations. He also represents employers during discrimination, harassment and retaliation complaints before the EEOC and in complaints brought before the Department of Labor.
An active litigator and appellate lawyer, Perry handles complex lawsuits involving federal and state employment law, business disputes, property disputes, trust and estate cases and much more. He has extensive experience with appeals and argued before the Supreme Court of South Carolina.
Prior to joining Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, Perry worked for the South Carolina House of Representatives Labor, Commerce and Industry Committee. In this role, he gained valuable insight into the regulation and licensing of businesses in South Carolina. He also worked as a Research Assistant for a Professor Emeritus at the University of South Carolina School of Law, where he researched tort law for the new cumulative supplement of the South Carolina Law of Torts.
A proud graduate of Clemson University, Perry gives back to his alma mater through serving on the Clemson Young Alumni Council. Perry is also committed to giving back to the profession through his service with the American Bar Association and the South Carolina Bar.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- Clemson University, B.A., 2011
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- South Carolina Law Review, Associate Editor-in-Chief
- Awarded top overall score in the 2012 Law Review Journal Writing Competition
- Finished in the top 5 of his law school class
- Helping And Lending Outreach Support (HALOS), Board Member (2016-Present)
- Clemson University Young Alumni Council, President-elect
- American Bar Association, South Carolina Delegate to House of Delegates, Young Lawyers Division
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division, co-chair of Professional Development Committee and Make-a-Wish Committee, ICivics Committee, Bar Convention Committee
- LEADSC, Executive Committee
- Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Leadership Discovery Program, Class of 2016
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, Human Resources Committee
- "The New FLSA Overtime Regulations," Greene Finney & Horton and HSB Tax and Legal Update, May 11, 2016 and SC Association of Residential Care Homes Meeting, April 27, 2016
- "HR Law Update," Southern Carolina Alliance HR Meeting, February 2016
- "Pregnancy Discrimination in Light of Young v. UPS," HSB 2016 and 2015 Employment Law Seminars
- "Employees versus Independent Contractors," HSB Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar, November 2015
- "Who’s the Boss? You May Be a Joint Employer of Temporary Workers," Association of Corporate Counsel South Carolina’s October 2015 newsletter