Our firm has a long history of partnership with both state and local governments throughout South Carolina, particularly in the areas of public finance, governmental powers and governmental liability.
Our lawyers have years of experience in assisting state and local governments to meet the needs of their constituents, whether it involves structuring complex public finance and inter-governmental agreements, drafting legislation, providing procurement advice or litigating about the ever-changing role of local government.
PUBLIC FINANCE PRACTICE EXPERIENCE:
- Attorneys elected to serve as President-Elect of the National Association of Bond Lawyers and as members of the American College of Bond Counsel.
- Served as co-bond and lead tax counsel for aggregate of $1.2 billion of revenue bonds issued by the State of South Carolina securitized by tobacco settlement payments to the State.
- Lead the way in structuring innovative non-traditional project financing techniques, including public/private partnerships, installment purchase financings, municipal improvement districts financings and accommodations/hospitality tax-backed financings.
- Created and advised multiple joint action agencies, and prepared intergovernmental agreements to guide the operation and management of such agencies.
- Drafted and implemented FOIA policies that address open meetings requirements, response to FOIA requests, executive session parameters, and preparation and retention of minutes.
- Drafted a design-build procurement ordinance for a county government and then successfully defending a court challenge to that ordinance.