Jay Matthews is an advocate for technology companies. He has a strong background in cases involving the construction, manufacturing and pharmaceutical industries. He leads Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd’s Construction Practice Group.
Jay helps clients in litigation involving contract disputes, business torts, fiduciary law and shareholder claims. He negotiates and reviews agreements for complex business transactions.
Jay is a registered PE in Florida and served in the United States Air Force as an engineer. He led deployments and construction projects in Bosnia and Saudi Arabia.
- University of Florida, J.D., 2000
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.M.E., 1991
- South Carolina, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 2001
- The Best Lawyers in America© Commercial Litigation (2013-2019)
- Greenville Business Magazine “Legal Elite of the Upstate” Construction (2015, 2018)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Award 2018
- Order of the Coif
- Florida Law Review
- Gersten Key Award for Outstanding Graduate at University of Florida
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Bar, Construction Law Section Secretary (2017-2018)
- Public Charter School Alliance of South Carolina, Board of Directors (2016-Present)
- Leadership South Carolina, Class of 2007
- A Child’s Haven, Board of Directors (2005-2010)