A native of Charleston, David Humphreys co-leads Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd's real estate team, focusing on commercial real estate transactions and commercial real estate finance. He assists with the planning and implementation of all phases of a real estate project in South Carolina. David helps developers and lenders balance major business opportunities against the risks involved. He represents clients in land transactions and zoning and land-use issues. He is frequently called on by landlords and tenants involved in office, retail and industrial leasing matters.
David is an agent and approved attorney for multiple title insurance companies, including Chicago Title, Fidelity National Title Insurance Company and Old Republic Title Insurance Company.
He also advises clients on forming corporations, limited liability companies’ partnerships and joint ventures.
As former Chair of the City of Charleston’s Board of Zoning Appeals–Site Design, he has extensive, first-hand experience in achieving a balance between preservation of natural and historic resources and the development of well-planned projects that promote economic growth.
- • Represented the Medical University Hospital Authority with the financing and construction of the Shawn Jenkins Children's Hospital and Pearl Tourville Women's Pavilion
- • Represented a medical university in its acquisition of a 116,000 SF office park in Charleston
- • Serves as general and real estate counsel for “WestEdge,” the civic and research-oriented, mixed-use development on Charleston’s Peninsula
- • Represented the City of Charleston in its acquisition of Morris Island
- • Represented the owner and developer in the acquisition, financing and development of a 41-room hotel in Charleston’s French Quarter
- • Represented the Cannon Street YMCA with the acquisition, financing and development of its new facility in Cane Bay in Berkeley County
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- University of South Carolina, B.A., 1999
- Charleston Business Monthly "Legal Elite of the Lowcountry" Commercial Real Estate 2017
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” Real Estate: Business (2012 - 2015)
- Order of the Coif
- Order of Wig and Robe
- South Carolina Law Review, Editorial Staff
- City of Charleston, Board of Zoning Appeals Chair (2006-2010)
- Leadership Charleston, Class of 2009
- March of Dimes, Lowcountry Chapter Board of Directors
- Buist Academy Foundation, Board of Directors