A leader in real estate law, Benton Williamson focuses his practice on structuring complex legal deals efficiently and effectively to meet his clients’ goals.
In over 35 years of legal practice, Benton has closed more than 1,000 transactions and financings for projects ranging from agricultural lands to retail shopping centers and industrial facilities. Throughout his career, he has been known for efficiently designing and closing transactions that satisfy his clients’ business and financial concerns.
Benton's reputation extends well beyond the state of South Carolina. He advises multi-national companies and investors on environmental, leasing and acquisition issues in numerous states and foreign countries.
In addition to his legal practice, Benton has been and continues to be active in numerous civic, charitable and religious organizations and activities.
- • Assisted an international corporation in dealing with problems at an environmentally challenged manufacturing facility, including environmental, land-use and financing issues
- • Assisted a national bank in securing numerous sites involving lease, purchase, land-use and environmental issues
- • Helped a national agricultural-based corporation secure financing and, ultimately, with the sale of its assets
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1980
- Oxford University, B.A., Jurisprudence, 1978
- Sewanee, The University of the South, B.A., 1976
- The Best Lawyers in America© Real Estate (2010-2019)
- Best Lawyers® 2011 and 2016 Real Estate "Lawyer of the Year" Columbia
- South Carolina Super Lawyers Real Estate (2008-2018)
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Adjunct Professor (Real Estate Transactions)
- Industrial Asset Management Council
- South Carolina Bar, Real Estate Practices Section former Chair and Corporation and Banking Section
- American Bar Association
- Still Hopes Retirement Home, former Chair
- Congaree Land Trust, former Chair
- Gravatt Camp and Conference Center, former Chair
- Sewanee: The University of the South, Board of Trustees, Parent's Council and Alumni Council
- Columbia Development Corporation