At Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, our environmental attorneys have spent much of their careers solving problems in the regulatory area of environmental law.
Our main goal is to strive for innovative and creative solutions to environmental problems. We work closely with scientists and engineers, maintaining a positive relationship with government regulators. This practice area provides experience, knowledge, creativity and judgment in addressing the environmental concerns of our clients.
ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION EXPERIENCE:
- Senior team member in environmental remediation of the Charleston Naval Complex, resulting in the redevelopment and transfer to local authorities—the first DOD fixed price remediation contract
- Represented parties in numerous real estate and brownfields transactions with development, environmental concerns, and contamination concerns. Sites range from a 900 acre tract to former gasoline stations and dry cleaners
- Assisted a manufacturer in responding to a large onsite release of hazardous substances; participated in the design and implementation of site assessment plan and remedial activities; directed strategies for disclosure to regulatory agencies concerning the same
- Assisted clients in complying with complex air, water, waste and wetland permitting requirements to construct and bring new facilities into operation
- Represented clients on the state level before the SC Administrative Law Court, SC Department of Health and Environmental Control, Office of Ocean and Coastal Resources Management and SC Circuit Court
- Represented clients on the federal level before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Army Corps of Engineers, United States District Court, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and other agencies
- Assisted major technology company in obtaining environmental permits for development of major facility
- Created a series of non-profit organizations to assist businesses address environmental mitigation requirements through a partnership with conservation organizations