A 21st century enterprise is increasingly dependent on the strength of its intangible assets: trademarks, patents, trade secrets, copyrights, licenses and business processes.
At Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, we use our own intangible assets—the knowledge and skills of our lawyers—to understand and adapt to the ever-changing intellectual property needs of our clients.
We work actively with our clients to assist them in identifying and harvesting their intellectual property (IP) assets and vigorously protecting and expanding the value that such assets represent. At Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, it's our goal to provide each of our clients with appropriate legal support customized to the client’s scale and level of maturation as a business enterprise.
Boutique Style from a Full-Service Team
Our team of IP lawyers has the experience and flexibility of an "IP Boutique Law Firm" to quickly adapt and respond to our clients' evolving needs. At the same time, we can draw from other HSB attorneys, who may contribute complementary legal skills or disciplines to assist with a variety of related client issues including start-up, securities, and financial support.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & INNOVATION EXPERIENCE:
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications to protect client inventions, strengthen IP portfolios, and improve competitive position
- Securing copyright protection and ownership documentation for original works of authorship, software, publications, etc.
- Obtaining trademarks to protect client brands, products, and services, and assisting with related patents and licenses
- Providing counsel for the establishment of business practices to create and protect copyright and trade secrets, such as formulas, price and customer lists, business processes, inventions, and other competitive information
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for IP licensing and purchasing, technology transfer, software and data rights protection, non-disclosure, procuring technology products and services, invention assignments, etc.
- Providing representation for entrepreneurial start-ups, including entity formation, and assistance in financing, including SBIR, and venture capital funding
- Conducting IP analysis to assess IP portfolios (offensive and defensive), harvesting novel inventive concepts, determining patentability, and identifying potential infringers
- Representation in complex litigation, mediation and arbitration including cases involving IP, information technology matters involving patent, trade secret, trademark and copyright claims