The Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd Nonprofit team represents a wide variety of nonprofit organizations in the areas of higher education, charter schools, government, industry and commerce, healthcare, community development, and the arts, providing a broad range of services including structuring their formation and advising as to tax exempt status, developing a variety of creative financing products to successfully complete a multitude of multi-million dollar projects, litigating a variety of complex lawsuits ranging from constitutional issues to employment matters, and assisting in the drafting and implementation of policy and governance issues.
- Advising on the legal and tax structure of an unprecedented collaboration among the three SC public research universities and several major healthcare systems, known as Health Sciences South Carolina.
- Regularly counseling nonprofits that serve as economic development entities for governmental bodies, including a regional Upstate Alliance, Charleston Local Development Corporation, and supporting foundations for numerous colleges and universities.
- Regularly advising SC Launch!, an SCRSA collaboration, whose mission is to identify, nurture and grow high impact knowledge-based companies in South Carolina.
- HSB has structured and advises a consortium of hospitals in the State to coordinates the health sciences research and grant activities of the member hospitals.
- Represented numerous educational institutions in establishing foundations to finance, construct and operate student housing facilities, academic buildings and other university-related facilities.
- Represented a large public hospital system in structuring exempt and for-profit affiliates to commercialize cancer therapies developed by hospital researchers.
- Advised numerous foundations concerning conversion from 509(a)(3) supporting organization status to 509(a)(1) publicly-supported organization status and other Pension Protection Act compliance issues.