Tom Gottshall is a trial lawyer engaged in environmental and products liability, including medical device, machinery, pharmaceutical and toxic tort issues.
Tom has represented many clients involved with superfund sites. He has litigated CERCLA cases and been involved in more than 15 contribution and cost-recovery actions. Tom has also been involved in the negotiation of numerous consent decrees with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. He has conducted extensive negotiations regarding the allocation of CERCLA responsibility and has utilized insurance proceeds to assist clients in resolving environmental liabilities.
Tom is a speaker on environmental litigation and products liability issues.
Additionally, this highly experienced member of our Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd team has crafted favorable settlements for pharmaceutical companies in actions arising out of alleged adverse reactions to drugs.
Tom's experience includes trying cases involving exposure to various industrial chemicals and handling many cases involving medical devices and machinery.
Reflecting his lifelong interest in history, Tom frequently speaks to groups on historical topics.
- University of Pennsylvania, J.D., 1970
- Yale University, B.A., cum laude, 1967
- South Carolina, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Pennsylvania, 1970
- The Best Lawyers in America© Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2013-2019)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Environmental Litigation (2010, 2012-2018)
- Best Lawyers® 2012 Product Liability Litigation - Defendants “Lawyer of the Year” Columbia
- American Bar Association, former Chair of Products Committee of the Trial Torts and Insurance Practice Section
- South Carolina Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court, President (1994-1995)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- U.S. Army, Captain, JAGC (active duty 1971-1974)
- South Carolina Philharmonic, Board Member, former President, Advisory Council Vice Chair (2018-Present)
- South Carolina Humanities Council, Board Member
- Atlantic Legal Foundation, Advisory Board Member
- Yale Alumni Schools Committee, Central South Carolina Chairman