Scott Barnes, a Certified Tax Specialist, joined Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd in 2013. Backed by more than 41 years in the profession, Scott’s practice currently focuses on limited liability companies and partnerships, conservation easements, and the tax implications of these situations.
Scott is a former Chairman of the South Carolina Bar Association Tax Section, a Member of the American Bar Association Tax Section and Partnership Subcommittee, and a Fellow of the American College of Tax Lawyers. He served on the Governor’s Economic Development Incentives Committee, was an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of South Carolina School of Law and is currently an Adjunct Professor at the Charleston School of Law.
- Georgetown University, LL.M., Taxation, 1976
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1973
- Vanderbilt University, B.S., 1969
- The Best Lawyers in America© Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) (2014-2018), Corporate Law (2006-2018) and Tax Law (1993-2018)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Tax (2008-2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2011 Charleston “Lawyers of the Year” Corporate Law
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2012 Charleston “Lawyers of the Year” Tax Law
- President of the Church Street Historic Foundation
- Trustee of the Community Foundation serving Coastal South Carolina
- Trustee of the Charleston Area Community Development Corporation
- Trustee of the Gibbes Museum of Art
- Trustee and former President of the Southern Federal Tax Institute
- Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Charleston Day School
- Former Trustee and President of the Lowcountry Open Land Trust
- “South Carolina Conservation Incentives Act: An Innovative Approach to Conservation,” South Carolina Lawyer March/April 2001
- Co-author of the "South Carolina Treatise, Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships"
- Co-author of the "Practical Guide to Commercial Real Estate in South Carolina"