At Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, John Scott focuses his practice on business representation and tax planning. He assists closely held businesses and their principal owners achieve their corporate and individual goals by designing and implementing creative, yet practical, solutions to address the tax, operational, succession and estate issues facing these businesses and their owners.
John holds an advanced degree in taxation from New York University. His work in the tax field encompasses trusts and estate planning, tax free reorganizations, tax planning for real estate transactions including 1031 exchanges, historic and abandoned building tax credits, economic development incentives, commercial real estate and finance transactions and conservation easements.
His practice also includes providing advice and counsel to his clients on a number of general corporate issues including the formation of business entities such as limited liability companies and corporations, mergers and acquisitions, succession planning and contractual matters.
- New York University, LL.M., 2000
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1999
- University of South Carolina, B.A., 1995
- The Best Lawyers in America© Tax Law (2009-2019) and Trusts and Estates Law (2016-2019)
- Best Lawyers® 2014 Tax Law “Lawyer of the Year” Florence
- Recipient of Martindale-Hubbell’s highest possible rating, AV, in ethical standards
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" Mergers & Acquisitions (2012-2013)
- McLeod Health Foundation, Board of Trustees (2013-Present), Chair of the Professional Advisors Committee
- Leadership South Carolina, Class of 2017
- Eastern Carolina Community Foundation, Board Member (2008-2014), Finance and Investment Committee
- South Carolina Bar, Tax Section (2000-Present), Probate Estate Planning and Trust Section (2003-Present)
- South Carolina Uniform Trust Code, Reporter Committee (2003-2004)
- American Bar Association
- Florence County Bar Association
- Leadership Florence, Class of 2005
- Florence Kiwanis Club, former President and Board Member
- HSB Opportunity Zone Presentation, Florence, SC, December 11, 2018
- "Keeping the Walls Up: Tips for Avoiding Amalgamation," HSB 2018 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series
- "Avoiding Disaster: Time to Dust off Your Operating Agreements," HSB 2017 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series