John Tiller is a deeply experienced and widely respected trial lawyer and mediator. He is respected by defendants’ and plaintiffs’ counsel as an effective trial lawyer familiar with the bench and bar in local South Carolina. His reputation and experience have served him well in fostering the resolution of cases through mediation and trial when necessary.
At Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, John leads our Insurance Defense practice group and focuses primarily on products liability, premises liability and personal injury actions, including complex matters involving numerous plaintiffs. Currently, he spends a great deal of time serving as a mediator. In 2016, John was inducted into the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. Membership is by invitation only, after peer nomination and review, and limited to attorney arbitrators and mediators with proven experience in the field and those who meet stringent practice criteria.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1987
- College of Charleston, B.S., 1984
- Benchmark Litigation 2018 "Local Litigation Star"
- Best Lawyers® 2018 Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" Charleston, SC
- The Best Lawyers in America© Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2013-2018) and Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2013-2018)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Personal Injury-Products: Defense (2010-2017)
- Benchmark Litigation 2012 “SC Litigator of the Year”
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Board of Trial Advocates, former President of the Charleston Chapter
- Charleston County Bar Association
- College of Charleston Foundation, Board Member
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association