Jeff Stover’s practice covers the spectrum of intellectual property rights, including patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, unfair competition and related matters for clients operating in a wide range of technologies, including manufacturers, technology companies and startups. He is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as well as the state and federal courts of South Carolina.
Jeff represents clients in litigated matters involving the assertion of intellectual property rights, including patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret litigation. As part of that representation, Jeff handles post-grant patentability matters, such as inter partes reviews, in front of the United States Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Although he is located in South Carolina, Jeff frequently litigates out-of-state matters on behalf of his clients. He assists clients in securing intellectual property rights, including the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, trademarks and copyrights in a wide range of business areas.
In addition to intellectual property matters, Jeff has litigation experience in a wide range of substantive areas, including general business disputes, shareholder disputes, fraud and misrepresentation claims, fiduciary duty claims, insurance coverage and bad faith disputes, and other types of disputes on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. He draws upon this experience when providing counsel to his clients. He also negotiates licenses, assignments and related documents associated with the transfer of intellectual property rights.
Before beginning his legal career, Jeff worked as an engineer on the development of projects including the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
- Charleston School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Clemson University, M.S., 2003
- Clemson University, B.S., 2001
- South Carolina, 2010
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2014
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- South Carolina BIO, Board of Directors, Executive Committee
- "IP Essentials for Life Sciences," SCBIO Life Sciences Boot Camp, Columbia, SC, March 14, 2018
- "Don't Get Sued: Navigating Legal Issues Unique to the Beverage Industry," BevCon Charleston, August 24, 2017