Using his experience as a litigator and mediator, Matt Elliott aims to resolve his clients’ disputes by achieving the most favorable result at a reasonable cost.
Matt has over 35 years of experience as a civil litigation attorney and is a certified mediator. His practice areas include:
- • Professional liability
- • Legal malpractice
- • Nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- • Products liability
- • Contract and commercial disputes
- • Aviation accidents
- • Personal injury and automobile accidents
- • Realtor liability
- • Insurance agents and brokers liability
In professional liability lawsuits, Matt has been involved in more than 150 cases over the past 35 years concerning alleged negligent action on the part of professionals. He has extensive experience representing insurance agents, realtors and lawyers in negligence actions. He has defended legal professionals who have been sued in connection with commercial loans, real estate, tax and estate planning, among other matters.
In products-liability cases, he has significant experience defending manufacturers of products—from home appliances and manufactured homes to airplane parts and industrial equipment—in actions involving both personal injury and property damage.
He has been defending nursing homes and assisted living facilities for over 30 years. Matt tried one of the first nursing home cases in South Carolina involving issues of patient care and medication errors. He represents national and regional nursing home providers in their South Carolina litigation. Matt speaks to associations of long term care providers to educate them in risk management.
As a certified mediator, Matt's breadth of experience gives him a basis from which to appreciate the issues involved, as well as the motivations and needs of the various parties in litigation. He has the ability to help explore and explain those issues, motivations and needs to develop and work through mutually agreeable resolutions.
Before joining the Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd team, Matt served as a law clerk to the Hon. Robert W. Hemphill, United States District Judge, from 1982-1983.
- Washington & Lee University, J.D., cum laude, 1982
- Furman University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1979
- South Carolina, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1982
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- South Carolina Bar, Torts and Insurance Practices Council Chairman (2013-2014)
- Greenville County Bar
- Defense Research Institute, Nursing Home Defense Section
"How to Stay Out of Court," S.C. Association of Resident Care Homes (SCARCH) 2016 Seminars