Licensed in Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina, Cory Patterson’s practice focuses on utility, construction, financial services and insurance defense. An experienced litigator and trial attorney, Cory handles cases for a diverse group of Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd clients in both federal and state courts. His utility practice focuses on representation of regulated utilities and their contractors in encroachment, condemnation, property damage and tort liability cases, including defense of claims for personal injury and wrongful death.
Cory represents financial institutions in connection with commercial and consumer loan defaults. He also represents financial intuitions in matters involving instruments bearing unauthorized signatures. His construction practice includes representation of owners, contractors, design professional and subcontractors in contract, payment and construction defect disputes. Cory’s insurance defense practice consists of representing national clients in the matters involving premise liability, wrongful death and motor vehicle matters.
Cory previously served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Guilford County District Attorney’s Office in Greensboro/High Point, NC.
- North Carolina Central University, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- North Carolina Central University, B.A., cum laude, 2006
- South Carolina, 2015
- Georgia, 2015
- North Carolina, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 2009
- AAJ Trial Team
- Civil Rights Trial Team
- The Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Law Review
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Greenville County Bar Association, Diversity Committee Chair
- American Bar Association
- Rotary Club of Greenville, Board Member (2016-Present), Chair of the Read to Me Program (2016-2017)
- Friends of the Greenville County Library System, Board President
- Defense Research Institute
- Upstate Carolina Education Outreach, Board Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- South Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Diversity Committee (2016-Present)
- Riley Institute at Furman's Diversity Leaders Initiative, Upstate Class XXV