Nick Nicholson combines his responsibilities as Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd’s Managing Director with his work in the areas of procurement and government contracts, local government law and construction law.
Nick advises public authorities throughout South Carolina on procurement related issues, including:
- • Providing counsel and training concerning procurement policies and ordinances
- • Preparing bids, requests for proposals, request for qualifications and other solicitation documents
- • Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contract documents
- • Advising on contract awards
- • Representing clients in protests, lawsuits and alternative dispute resolution methods
Nick counsels local governments and governmental agencies with respect to Freedom of Information Act issues, construction and general contract matters, constitutional issues, governance issues, construction bonding issues and general liability matters. He has represented public bodies in more than 40 lawsuits that have variously involved constitutional claims, challenges to the award of contracts, construction claims, condemnation claims, tort claims and property tax protests.
He advises owners and contractors on contractual issues and represents them in construction related actions in state court, mediation and arbitration in cases involving issues arising out of changes in the scope of work, delays, scheduling and construction and design defects.
- • Argued multiple appeals before the SC Supreme Court and Court of Appeals concerning procurement ordinances and procurement activities
- • Negotiated Design-Build and CM at-Risk contracts collectively totaling over $1 million for a wide array of projects, including biomass boiler, water treatment plants, roads, multi-phase public/private development projects, hospitals, medical office buildings, multi-family housing and manufacturing facilities
- • Negotiated the settlement in pre-suit mediation of a variety of disputes involving large construction projects
He is a frequent speaker on procurement law, FOIA and construction matters and has presented at SC Bar annual meetings, SC Construction Bar seminars, SC Government Law Bar seminars, Association of Counties meetings and other events.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1992
- University of South Carolina, B.A., magna cum laude, 1988
- South Carolina, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1996
- The Best Lawyers in America© Litigation - Construction (2013-2019)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Award 2016
- Meyer Center School for Special Children, Board Member
- Public Charter School Alliance of South Carolina, former Board member
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, former Board Member
- Leadership South Carolina
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry and Local Government Section
- South Carolina Bar, past president of Construction Law Section
- Greenville County Bar Association
- Leadership Greenville, Class XXXVIII
- Foothills Presbytery Third Presbyterian Commission Member
- Co-author of Procurement Chapter S.C. Construction Law Deskbook